In partnership with British Council Ghana and Hatch Africa, Africa Fashion Guide are bringing our mini talk entitled Fashion Africa Voices to Accra, Ghana this March 22nd, during the British Council Africa Enterprise Summit.
Fashion Africa Voices have a direct focus on business, entrepreneurship and sustainability within Africa’s fashion and textile industry industry. Our new intimate talks bring together a small niche group of entrepreneurs and SME businesses with an aim to support their business development goals and get them on the road to success knowing that ultimately this is important in driving success in Africa’s textile industry.
The Accra edition will take place in the heart of Accra at the British Council offices and include
- up close and personal one-to-one interviews with influential members from the African fashion industry, business community, retail experts and academia
- followed by open group discussions with attendees with Q&A to gain advice from key influencers
Date: Wednesday 22nd March 2017
Time: 1pm-4pm (open for registration at 12.30pm)
- Introduction (time = 1-1.10pm)
- SESSION1 Fashion & Education – howto be a designer (time = 1.10 – 2pm interview + Q&A)
- o Working with international and local retailers
- o Fashion schools influence and position in Africa’s fashion industry
- o Quality and skill-set requirements for international trade
- o Fashion Made by Ghana experience
- SESSION2 Fashion & Ethics – how to do fashion responsibly (time = 2 – 3pm interview + Q&A)
- o Local sourcing options
- o Sourcing organic
- o Ethical production
- o Preservation of local techniques
- o Fairtrade
- SESSION3 Fashion & Finance – how to raising finance for young designers and small manufacturers businesses (time =3-4pm interview and Q&A)
- o Setting up a business in Ghana
- o Sourcing finance and the funding options available
- o Pitching to banks and venture capitalists
- o Gaining finance needed in advance for international orders
- during the talks we will raise the following policy issues with the group of fashion specialists and stakeholders
- How policy can drive Apparel Industry
- The Apparel industry’s potential to drive entrepreneurship in Africa
- The rise of Industry parks and FDI
- The effect of the second-hand clothing
- Distribution – Logistics, shipping and red tape
- Brexit and AGOA – trade policies
These Fashion Africa Voices mini talks are an opportunity for those who wish to delve deeper, ask those pressing questions they wish to be answered, as well as the chance to gain the specific industry business advice they need.
Spaces are very limited and so we do advise that you book early to avoid disappointment.
Do contact email@example.com if you have any relevant questions.
British Council Ghana
WHO ARE WE?
Fashion Africa Voices is an initiative organised by Africa Fashion Guide (AFG), a one stop shop for fashion professionals, industry bodies, students, retailers, press – TV news, papers and magazines, bloggers and all those interested in African fashion and textiles.
AFG hold annual conferences and regular talks and seminars around the world from London to New York, to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to Nairobi Kenya. In addition, AFG consult for international businesses and run online workshops on behalf of private clients.
Past speakers have included: Vlisco, Diana Opoti, Mantisworld, Studio189 (Rosario Dawson and Abrima Erwiah), H&M, Vlisco, Solidaridad, Sedex, British Museum, Financial Times, Arieta Muray, Soboye, SOKO, Ethical Apparel Africa, Maxhosa, Textile Exchange and Ethical Fashion Forum.